Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sun Gold Eggs


I got these eggs from our neighbor who has chickens a few days ago. These neighbors have the life I want. They keep chickens and grow mushrooms and can food and garden and grow stuff and sew things and are generally kicking sustainable butt. They are like pioneers. But they're not obnoxious about it. There's nothing worse than an obnoxious pioneer.

I like buying eggs from neighbors. When stealing another creatures young, it's always nice to know that they are well cared for and that they, perhaps, have names. It's nice to know that they are fed on table scraps and insects that they peck from the ground.

The real reason why I like these eggs is the color and texture of their yolks.

Look! They're almost orange -- like the sun or like gold. It's much more appetizing to think that I'm eating gold or the sun than someone else's almost-baby. Eating gold or the sun is so much more indulgent. I feel like a very rich person with inconceivably strong teeth or like a giant God-like galaxy destroyer.

Some eggs I've eaten have crumbly yolks. Not so these ones. The yolks are rich and thick and stay together under pressure.

Also, they are naked baby endorsed and are packed even more full with good stuff than caged eggs. The vitamin D thing is of particular interest to me because I am terrible about giving my kid her liquid vitamin D. (Shhhh, don't tell our pediatrician because then she'll think I'm a big fat liar.) The thing is that a deficiency of vitamin D can lead to rickets, an old-timey disease of the skeletal system and one of the reasons (along with the rest of this list of illnesses) why being a pioneer sucked. (For those of you who searched the linked list for "dysentery" as in "You have died of dysentery", the pioneers called it "flux" characterized by "discharge of fluid from the body." The makers of Oregon Trail must have thought that "You have died of flux" didn't have the same ring to it. Although I like the sound of it.)

In sum, I like eggs from neighbors and eating gold and the sun and kindly pioneers, I sometimes tell our pediatrician little white lies, and I do not like rickets or obnoxious pioneers.

1 comment: